Thursday, October 16, 2008

Placement Tests

The first thing different about placement tests is that they're on a computer system now. Also, the test is interactive - and each new question is based on your answer to the previous question.

A lot has changed since the mid 80's.

The good news for me is that my Reading comprehension was high enough to meet graduation standards. No required reading classes for me. Another piece of good news is that my overall English comprehension is very high and I can jump right in with 4-year University level classes.
Yippee!

And now the pathetic news....I'll be starting with remedial math...pre-algebra. Which is good in its own way since my last math class was 25 years ago and I don't recall having a complete understanding even back then. How I ever passed geometry and Algebra 2/Trig is beyond me. No doubt it had something to do with a long series of substitute teachers during my year of Algebra 2/Trig. I did learn a lot of things in that class...just nothing math related.

Dividing fractions, multiplying fractions....totally beyond me. Now if they'd asked about credit scores, revolving credit interest rates or mortgage qualifying ratios....I'd have aced the test.
I knew things were going badly when each successive question was easier than the last. I did have a piece of scratch paper to work out math problems....but when a person doesn't have a clue to begin with, scratch paper won't help. But if John walked 10 blocks in 10 minutes, I could figure out how many blocks he'd walked in 35 minutes...so all is not lost.

I did find an on-line tutorial for dividing and multiplying fractions.... a website designed for elementary school kids....and apart from feeling really stupid, it did help and I was able to teach myself those skills. Boy I love the Internet.

I saw the counselor to work out my educational plan (thankfully she was older than me) and now have a general plan of attack. Next step is to fight to get into a class....but I have at least a month before I engage in that struggle. For now, just trying to find a job along with all the other out-of-work real estate and mortgage professionals.

Trying to keep good spirits -- as my Governor once said...."I'll be bock".



No comments: